S.T.A.R. Foundation of Monterey County (Support The Arts Regionally) was founded in 2009 to support youth-related theatrical arts throughout Monterey County. In the fall of 2013 it changed focus to include all youth-related performing arts. Studies show that participation in, and expression through, the arts helps to develop a young person’s thinking skills and and social interactions. As the student’s awareness of his own identity and his environment are explored, his understanding of the world around him deepens. It is S.T.A.R. Foundation’s hope to better society by providing the stage whereby personal discovery can occur. Educational programs can be a vital vehicle for this growth. But, often times, the financial support for the continuity of these programs is either insufficient or not forthcoming. S.T.A.R. Foundation provides needed funding for the enrichment of theater programs currently existing in our schools and community theaters, and assists in developing new youth programs where there are none. It is the belief of the Board of Directors of S.T.A.R. Foundation that the power of self-discovery and identity is the key to cooperative societal interaction. Participation through positive multi-cultural performing arts programs is an important aspect in understanding all people and all ethnicities.
S.T.A.R. Foundation Grants
The S.T.A.R. Foundation of Monterey County supports youth-related performing arts activities in Monterey County. We provide support for programs operating under the umbrella of a non-profit organization. Our grants are designed to supplement existing programs by providing funding for capital technical expense (e.g., lighting, sound and musical equipment), augment instruction by providing guest artists/docents in acting, make-up, scenic, sound and lighting design, maintenance of musical instruments, and more. Please note that the foundation does not fund salaries, operating costs or office/publicity materials. We also will fund reimbursement of discounted tickets for students and their families for local productions. The Board of Directors will entertain ideas and approve funding on a quarterly basis. There are no deadlines to apply. Board meetings take place normally in August, November, February and May.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested organizations should send to Susanne Mentzer, Administrator: firstname.lastname@example.org:
- a letter and attachment (via email is fine) explaining the program and needs
- any budgetary information, including sources of other funding, estimates of equipment costs
- information as to whom the program serves
- and a Profit/Loss statement if available
- proof of 501 (c) 3 status
Press Release - November 14, 2014
THE S.T.A.R. FOUNDATION OF MONTEREY COUNTY ANNOUNCES LATEST GRANTS
Please donate to the matching grants below to make these possible for the organizations!
The following groups have been awarded grants for year 2014-2015:
- Community Partnership for Youth: $500.00 to support the Visual and Performing Arts Academy
- CSUMB Summer Arts: up to $5000.00 in scholarships for local students to attend performing arts programs
- Hartnell College Foundation for choral program: $2,960 for outreach plus a matching grant of $5000. for sound equipment
- Monterey Bay Charter School: $6,000.00 for the instrumental music program
- Monterey High School Dance Program: matching grant of up to $10,000.00 for a dance floor
- Monterey High School Drama Program: $16,038.00 for lighting and sound equipment
- Orchestra in the Schools: $5,350.00 for and rehearsal space and musical instruments students in need
- Pacific Repertory Theatre/School of the Dramatic Arts: $10,000.00 tuition help and youth ticket subsidies.
- North Salinas High School Drama Program: $2,000.00 for supplies for the construction of scenery
- Sacred Heart School, Salinas: $2,830.00 for the drama program